Skip to main content

Red Storm Rising - Tom Clancy


This book is my number one favourite. It has been since I first read it in the late 1980's (I mislaid the original I think it had a red cover - the one above is a modern replacement) It resonated with me, and was a riveting read and exploration of the Cold War gone hot. I re-read it every 3 or so years and still thoroughly enjoy the rollercoaster ride. I have not done this with any other book.

I bought the early Harpoon game for my Amiga 500 and played out the various scenarios, always with Clancy's (and Larry Bond's) take on WW3 very much in my mind. I could never find a book to match its attraction, including the ones written by Bond - although I have fond memories reading them with a cold beer in a summer holiday caravan in Cornwall when my kids were small and asleep.

I also loved the classic Microprose submarine game - Red Storm Rising.....you could even command a Sturgeon class submarine in that game. I remember playing a game called Red Lightening too, but never finished it.

I have recently started reading it again, and was browsing the Internet for a strategic game of the conflict, and came across two board games brought out in 1989 and 1990:





You can link the two games together and fight the complete conflict, with the convoys on the Red October game responsible for the reinforcements on the land game (Red Storm Rising) and moving air squadrons from the land theatre to the sea theatre etc.

So I bought them.........and was like a kid at Christmas waiting for them to arrive....

I now have them.

I will, at last, be able to game something I have wanted to do since 1989........

I will report when that happens.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not tonight Josephine - 28mm Napoleonic skirmish game

My Secret Wargaming friend has been busy, he has painted some figures, scratch built some buildings, and asked for others for his birthday. He has started his Napoleonic armies, something he promised he would never do, because he didn't know where it would end...................... A French sentry guards the prize - a command wagon full of secrets


For a while, my secret wargaming friend has been patiently working on this project, and it has been well worth the wait. Tonight he put on a great skirmish game. I was the British commander (represented on tabletop by a suitably dashing command figure), SWF - the French, and he too was represented by a command figure (who's tunic was a little too tight around his belly).

I had strict orders to reconnoiter a nearby town, and bring back captured supplies if possible. I had 13 men for the task, and had to cross a river to get into the town.



The British approach was from the bottom left of the picture then on toward the bridge

There was anot…

Red v Blue - Modern Spearhead rules and micro armour

A brief account of a command post exercise........ Me and a secret wargaming friend ran another walkthrough of these rules. This time we added helicopters, aircraft and artillery.The reader must bear in mind that we are just starting out in this scale, and with the rules. I have no 6mm trees or terrain, therefore, the pics will not be pretty.....Some of the models are also in a state of disrepair - I picked up a hodgepodge of second hand stuff some years ago, and they require basing and some need a little tidying up. This was a field training exercise, designed to put Brigade staff (me and my mate) through their paces and familiarise them with the concept of modern warfare. I took command of the red forces, which were simulating Russian units, my secret wargaming friend took charge of blue, and had a British battlegroup to command.In summary, red force was made up of three T72 tank battalions, a Motor Rifle battalion in BMP's, supported by a 122mm self propelled artillery battery, a…

Dreadnoughts Rising -World War One naval wargame (dry run)

In preparation for the final game in our World War One trilogy, I took a set of computer moderated rules called DREADNOUGHT RISING for a spin. Click here for a reviewNow I started naval wargaming in the early 1990's after buying a starter set from Skytrex. I got four World War 1 Battlecruisers and a set of basic rules, and eventually me and two friends started wargaming, we got some 15mm WW1 figures and ran a couple of mini campaigns. The only problem was the rules were hideous, and we never got to finish a game.

I recall moving my naval ships in millimetres and rolling dice a bazillion times to score and record a hit.

We loved it, but were held back by the rules. Dreadnoughts Rising solves it all.........as do her sister rules for WW2 - Battleships Zenith.

Now all I need are some computer moderated rules for my 1:3000th modern ships.....I digress, here is a summary of the test battle. The one we will play for the deciding game of the trilogy will be a little larger.I had two Battles…