Red v Blue - Modern Spearhead rules and micro armour

A brief account of a command post exercise........

Me and a secret wargaming friend ran another walkthrough of these rules. This time we added helicopters, aircraft and artillery.

The reader must bear in mind that we are just starting out in this scale, and with the rules. I have no 6mm trees or terrain, therefore, the pics will not be pretty.....

Some of the models are also in a state of disrepair - I picked up a hodgepodge of second hand stuff some years ago, and they require basing and some need a little tidying up.

This was a field training exercise, designed to put Brigade staff (me and my mate) through their paces and familiarise them with the concept of modern warfare. I took command of the red forces, which were simulating Russian units, my secret wargaming friend took charge of blue, and had a British battlegroup to command.

In summary, red force was made up of three T72 tank battalions, a Motor Rifle battalion in BMP's, supported by a 122mm self propelled artillery battery, a Hind attack Helicopter and an SU25 Frogfoot.

Red Force were attacking, Blue Force defending.

Blue Force consisted of a British armoured battalion with Challenger tanks, and an armoured infantry battalion in Warriors supported by a company Spartan Milan equipped vehicles. The battlegroup also had a recon company, Two batteries of MRLS, an Apache attack helicopter, and an F16 attack aircraft.

I attached my air defence company to the leading tank battalion.

My original plan was simple, one tank battalion, and the Motor Rifle battalion would surge ahead, contact, and pin the enemy. I would keep the two remaining tank battalions as reserve, and commit them once I knew the enemy dispositions.

What could go wrong.......

A Blue Force Forward Observer. Although the picture says otherwise, he is in some woods.......use your bloody imagination will you!

To my surprise, Blue force committed a sizeable chunk of the battlegroup to my left flank. Due to my plan, this would result in my tank battalion making contact with the enemy armour. Note the improved rapier battery closest to the camera.

An aerial shot of the advancing blue force flanking units.

My tank battalion advances to contact

The Blue force units on the far hill are also in trees and cannot be seen or spotted....so wipe them from your memory.

Soon my Motor Rifle battalion, and recon company are engaged by the Blue a Force units hiding on the wooded hill, suffering losses.

The FO (Forward Observer) calls down MRLS battery fire on the advancing Red Force tank battalion, causing quite a few units to suffer suppression.

Meanwhile Blue Force tank units engage and destroy some Red armour....

The arrival of Blue Force air support adds to the carnage. My plan was a disaster....

The battalion was decimated and ceased to be a fighting unit after a moral failure.

I had no choice but to commit my reserves - but where......

All I managed to do was suppress one enemy armour platoon for the loss of approaching 30 Red Force armoured vehicles.

I have a lot to learn. Part two of the battle will take place next week.

The table at the end of Day One of the Command Post Exercise.....

Comments

  1. Those T-72's look good covered in smoke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why did you keep two battalions of tanks in reserve? You hit somebody with your fist and not with your fingers spread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking game. What scale are they? Are they 28mm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon - you are quite right....if attacking, attack....don't hold back. My error.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hans - a good question, but they are 1:300th scale, and no, you cannot swap their clothes, and dress them like you can with action men!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not tonight Josephine - 28mm Napoleonic skirmish game

AWI Campaign - Umpires observations