" Animated by his exhortation " - a fictional First Carnatic War battle

A rather cold late March evening saw a warming battle between a small British relief force of 1,200 regular troops, led by Greaves of India, take on over 7,000 irregular troops of a local Nawab - led by yours truly.

A small militia force under the esteemed Captain Maurice Lee, found itself trapped in a make shift fort facing the numerous foe. The relief force marching to it's rescue.

The make-shift fort

Captain Lee rallies his militia in the face of innumerable odds

The Indian force line up in front of the British

Horse archers, followed by lancers race to the flanks of the approaching relief force

My opponent looked at the table, and probably noted the 'slight' imbalance of figures on the table. " I have not played this era before " he said, gulping huge amounts of air as he eyed my massive army. Is this all I have? he pointed at the small number of bright red units on his side of the table. " Yep, but they are shiny and bright " I said cheerfully. This did not seem to raise his spirits.

More cavalry swings around the flanks of the British

I moved my infantry toward the fort and British relief force, I had around 3,600 archers, along with some 800 matchlock armed infantry, supported by a group of rocket armed irregulars marching toward 600 colonial militia holed up in the fort.

Over 2,500 cavalry raced around the British.

"Prepare to meet cavalry" - the relief force slowed to a crawl

A view from the cavalry as they approach the British squares

The British squares open fire

I soon discovered that my eminently sensible cavalry commanders refused to charge the bristling wall of sharp and pointy British bayonets, and continued to refuse, demanding a General be dispatched to lead the charge.

Meanwhile my archers and musketeers began a withering fire against the dogged defenders of the fort. More archers were sent against the relief force, who were trapped by my threatening (yet un-aggressive cavalry).

My General ambles in style toward the reluctant cavalry

Soon an aggressive short ranged battle between the British squares and my archers was joined, the British commander painfully aware of the ever present, yet slightly distant, cavalry horde surrounding them.

Greaves of India centres himself in one of the squares

The simulated battle lasted for about 2.5hrs (game time) and seemed to be keenly contested until suddenly one unit after another broke and ran - the Nawabs ill-disciplined irregular troops could no longer stand the slaughter and ran from the field.

I lost over 2,700 casualties, 633 being prisoners.

My foe - lost 133.

A major British victory, the fort was saved and the Militia, led by the venerable Captain Maurice Lee won honours.

" I quite enjoyed that " said my opponent as he packed up and left with a spring in his step...............

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not tonight Josephine - 28mm Napoleonic skirmish game

Red v Blue - Modern Spearhead rules and micro armour

AWI Campaign - Umpires observations