Skip to main content

Escape to La Barquette

Sunday night saw a 28mm World War 2 skirmish game at a secret wargamers friends wargame workshop, the scenario was based on actual events during the second day of the D-Day landings.

My briefing reported:

You are in command of a Fallschirmjager Platoon (of 1st Company, 1st Battalion, 6th Fallshirmjager Regiment):

"On June 7th 1944 the Ist Battalion was given orders to withdraw south from around Vierville towards Carentan. The Battalion was slow to react to this order and consequently the way was blocked by elements of the 501st and 506th Parachute Regiments of the 101st Airborne Division.

The scenario represents this attempted break out. The Allies will represent a patrol from 3rd Battalion 506th PIR.

In reality only some 25 men (out of 500) of the 1st Battalion were able to escape, the rest being killed or captured by the Americans. The 2nd and 3rd Battalions of the 6th FJR went on a few days later to defend Carentan, earning the title of the 'Lions of Carentan' for their dogged resistance"

The main areas of conflict

A close up of a key area of the battlefield

Some bocage that would see a key encounter between opposing troops.

My Order of Battle

Platoon Leader-Leutnant Hans Worner-Grade 111 'Big Man' (Big Man Bonus of 1D6+1)

1st Squad
Unterfeldwebel Otto Meyer-Grade 111 'Big Man' (Big Man bonus of 1D6)
2x LMG fire teams of 5 men each

2nd Squad
Unterfeldwebel Kurt Ulhig-Grade 11 'Big Man'(Big Man bonus of 1D4)
2x LMG fire teams of 5 men each.




We were using the rule set troops, weapons and tactics by Too Fat Lardies.

I split my platoon elements into two squads, one racing up the road to grab a tall building in the centre, the other squad moving up the right flank across the fields. During the early part of the game only 'blinds' were on the table, so neither side knew where the enemy troops were.

The first few moves using blinds.....

My one squad close on the centre of the town.

My opponent managed to get a rifle squad to the centre first, and they took up position behind a stone wall, and ideal firing position to catch my patrol in the open as they move up the road.

Things were about to get messy.....

Meanwhile on my right flank, two squads of troops bundled into each other, each player believing the opposing blind was a fake........things were going to get really, really messy.

Looking across at the platoon.

My troops on the road started to take wounds and casualties....

Meanwhile on the far right, some good dice roles saw my two LMG squads devastate a US para squad.

A Google maps view of Carentan today

My troops on the road took three casualties, and the survivors of one squad fled, meantime both US parachute rifle teams were pinned, and then took serious hits themselves, leaving the road clear for my troops to move toward a river and escape.

The river in sight....

The remaining US para's took shelter in a former brothel, allowing my team to make good their escape.

The German's lost three men, the Americans took 12 casualties, with one man missing, a Pte Ryan......


Set for a sequel?

Band of Brothers - an 8 minute sample.....

Comments

  1. Excellent write up. The photos taken with that i-pad thingy look really good, puts my pin hole camera to shame.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not tonight Josephine - 28mm Napoleonic skirmish game

My Secret Wargaming friend has been busy, he has painted some figures, scratch built some buildings, and asked for others for his birthday. He has started his Napoleonic armies, something he promised he would never do, because he didn't know where it would end...................... A French sentry guards the prize - a command wagon full of secrets


For a while, my secret wargaming friend has been patiently working on this project, and it has been well worth the wait. Tonight he put on a great skirmish game. I was the British commander (represented on tabletop by a suitably dashing command figure), SWF - the French, and he too was represented by a command figure (who's tunic was a little too tight around his belly).

I had strict orders to reconnoiter a nearby town, and bring back captured supplies if possible. I had 13 men for the task, and had to cross a river to get into the town.



The British approach was from the bottom left of the picture then on toward the bridge

There was anot…

Red v Blue - Modern Spearhead rules and micro armour

A brief account of a command post exercise........ Me and a secret wargaming friend ran another walkthrough of these rules. This time we added helicopters, aircraft and artillery.The reader must bear in mind that we are just starting out in this scale, and with the rules. I have no 6mm trees or terrain, therefore, the pics will not be pretty.....Some of the models are also in a state of disrepair - I picked up a hodgepodge of second hand stuff some years ago, and they require basing and some need a little tidying up. This was a field training exercise, designed to put Brigade staff (me and my mate) through their paces and familiarise them with the concept of modern warfare. I took command of the red forces, which were simulating Russian units, my secret wargaming friend took charge of blue, and had a British battlegroup to command.In summary, red force was made up of three T72 tank battalions, a Motor Rifle battalion in BMP's, supported by a 122mm self propelled artillery battery, a…

Dreadnoughts Rising -World War One naval wargame (dry run)

In preparation for the final game in our World War One trilogy, I took a set of computer moderated rules called DREADNOUGHT RISING for a spin. Click here for a reviewNow I started naval wargaming in the early 1990's after buying a starter set from Skytrex. I got four World War 1 Battlecruisers and a set of basic rules, and eventually me and two friends started wargaming, we got some 15mm WW1 figures and ran a couple of mini campaigns. The only problem was the rules were hideous, and we never got to finish a game.

I recall moving my naval ships in millimetres and rolling dice a bazillion times to score and record a hit.

We loved it, but were held back by the rules. Dreadnoughts Rising solves it all.........as do her sister rules for WW2 - Battleships Zenith.

Now all I need are some computer moderated rules for my 1:3000th modern ships.....I digress, here is a summary of the test battle. The one we will play for the deciding game of the trilogy will be a little larger.I had two Battles…