World War One - on the western front

My secret wargaming friend put on a visual wargaming feast in 28mm the other day.

A World War One skirmish.

The game was run using the Two Fat Lardies rules called Through the mud and the blood, it was an absolute blast.

I played the Allies - and I had both British and French troops under my command.


My secret wargaming friend played the Germans - he likes sausages.


Speaking of such, the day was kicked off with a fresh bacon, sausage and egg sandwich followed by lashings of hot tea - could the day get any better you may ask?

"Why yes, yes it did..............."


The British platoon.

The scenario was based on the early part of 1914 and two groups of foraging parties met whilst out foraging. The winner would be decided by how many supplies you managed to obtain during the encounter.

Part of the German foraging party - clearly intent
on seizing as many garlic sausages as they can find....


They too had machine guns......................



An overview of the battlefield - my friend has scratch built
all of the buildings - flash git!



A view from the Allied approach route


The Farmyard - this would be a significant place during
the battle

The game has 'blinds' and not the Venetian type either. In effect it is a very well run section of the rules allowing for 'hidden movement' of sorts - I liked this a lot.

In effect I charged my British sections towards the centre of the table (and the farmyard). and moved my French units to protect the left flank and large storage warehouse, much to the annoyance of my Central Powers foe.

Looking toward the route of the British advance
to the centre.

The nice thing about the 'blinds' (hidden movement) is that my secret wargaming friend knows what a devious bugger I can be, and was not really sure of where my actual advance was, and where my bluff (if I was bluffing) was coming from.

He of course did the same, but in a more efficient and organized German way.

Battle was soon joined at the farm. My British troops had moved quickly into the farm building, one section searching for the supplies, the other section covering from a nearby wooden fence. Almost at the same time, the French had taken up their defensive positions behind a stone wall.

The French in position behind the wall. Their bravery
and solid courage saved the day.

The German main thrust was in the centre (two sections and a machine gun toward the farm), and two sections and a machine gun moving toward the warehouse (guarded by the French).

My secret wargaming friend knew I had 'units' in that location, but did not know if they were actual troops or a bluff. He could not even throw to spot them at this stage. He continued with his plan, but his attack in the centre became pinned down by the British covering platoon and the threat of a machine gun.


The covering British platoon and threatening machine
gun team covering the British right flank

The German centre found itself pinned behind the
Farm building and never really made an effective
impact on the battle.


An ill fated German charge round the corner was short lived.


The German loses started to build. At this point I was quite confident, although a little nervous about which French army had turned up on the day.........................


The Central Powers right flank attack forming before advance

My secret wargaming friend pressed on with his right flank attack and came slap bang into the French firing line. Luckily for me the rufty tufty French had turned up. Despite fearsome losses, they held there ground and drove the German troops back to cover - causing heavy casualties.

These guys were clearly rufty tufty - thankfully.....

The German advance had stalled at both the Farmhouse in the centre, and also on the left flank. The only option was to try and salvage the game by moving troops from the centre to try and outflank the British. Unfortunately for the Germans, Herr Von LEESOW was the only officer available - and he certainly liked his sausages, but was, as a result, a little rotund and unfit.

This was borne out by the movement dice thrown by my opponent - Von LEESOWES section moved very slowly indeed and failed to outflank the British - particularly when they ran (or shall I say walked) into the sights of the British machine gun team.


Part of the scenario was the requirement to transport the supplies from the front back to the HQ. A truck was need for this. Luckily, there was one on the table. However, it was separated by open road and a large group of grumpy Germans.

Four volunteers, volunteered and ran the deadly gauntlet..........................

The Mad dash to the truck. Shortly after this photograph
was taken two of the men lay mortally wounded.

Despite the casualties and withering gunfire, two men made it to the truck.

It was at this point my good friend conceded defeat and the game was at an end.

Excellent models and terrain, good company and food and brilliant rules.

What a fine day!


Comments

  1. WannabeSoldier6 May 2011 at 11:51

    I really enjoyed reading this. It seems that you play a lot of games using your friends figures - do you ever get to use your own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WannabeSailor6 May 2011 at 14:00

    Hey Jonny - you mentioned naval wargaming earlier in the blog, any new posts about this aspect of miniatures wargaming? - I am sure some of your buddies would have a game or two?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish someone would think about recreating the Cruel Sea, that would be impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jonny - why don't you buy some extra troops yourself and try painting 28mm, I hear you might like it.
    I would start by having a go at 28mm Scots to go with the above game.
    PS. your hair looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your friends likes Cornish Pasties too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been waiting with baited (and now slightly smelly) breath for this post. Didn't disappoint when it finally arrived. Cracking looking game, but I do hope your Secret Wargaming Friend isn't to sulky after losing this one?

    PS I second the call for more naval, and my good friend Titch would like to see more hot naval action!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey guys - I used to be in the navy and would love to do WW1 naval. Any takers?

    ReplyDelete
  8. BlindPugh19879 May 2011 at 17:10

    Great write up. I love the period and the buildings. Pasties are a great English tradition. Geez they remind me of my posting in the USAF in the 1980's to Norfolk. On leave me and a couple guys visited a little place called Falmouth. Beautiful, the docks were so busy with real characters. Always meant to go back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not tonight Josephine - 28mm Napoleonic skirmish game

Red v Blue - Modern Spearhead rules and micro armour

AWI Campaign - Umpires observations